Pork Carnitas Braised in Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
3 tablespoons of olive oil
4 lb pork roast
2 tablespoons cumin
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
fresh cracked black pepper
1 red onion, diced
5 cloves of garlic, smashed
1/2 cup orange juice
12 ounce bottle of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
32 oz chicken stock
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- In a small bowl combine cumin, oregano, chili powder, paprika, cayenne and a couple large pinches of salt and pepper.
- Rub spice mixture all over the surface of the pork roast. Sear the roast in oil, cooking each side until the entire outside of the roast is seared nice and dark golden brown.
- Transfer to the insert of a large slow cooker. Transfer all the extra spices and dripping from the pan as well as any spices leftover after rubbing the pork roast.
- Add onion, garlic, orange juice, beer and chicken broth to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 8-10 hours.
- Carefully transfer pork to a large sheet pan.
- Shred pork.
- Drizzle it with the cooking liquid.
- Broil pork on high for 3-5 minutes. The goal here is to have tender, juicy shredded pork with dark golden brown crispy bits on the ends
- Serve with corn tortillas, diced onion, fresh cilantro, queso fresco and avacado.