Old Fashioned Barrel Breakfast Beer Popovers
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 sweet or spicy Italian sausage links
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup mozzarella, grated
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup whole milk, room temperature
1 cup Kentucky Old Fashioned Barrel Ale
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 green onions, finely sliced
1/4 cup fresh basil
maple syrup and/or pesto
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Use butter to grease a nonstick muffin or popover pan, set aside.
- In a medium pan, heat olive oil. Remove sausage from casing and add to the pan. As the sausage begins to brown, add bell pepper.
- Season with a pinch of salt. Add garlic and continue to cook until garlic is fragrant and sausage is cooked through.
- Spoon the sausage mixture into each muffin tin and top with grated cheese.
- Mix eggs until frothy; add the milk, Kentucky Old Fashioned Barrel Ale, flour, green onions and basil. Season with salt and pepper. Blend until the mixture comes together. Divide batter amongst muffin tins, filling to just below the rim.
- Bake on the center rack until the popovers puff up and the tops turn golden brown, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup or pesto.